By Jane Kingsu-Cheng
First-time pregnancy can be daunting, filled with questions and apprehensions if one will be a great mom. Patti Grandidge-Herrera, who is pregnant at seven months, has been preparing for the big day by surrounding herself with friends and relatives who have been with her all throughout her pregnancy journey.
“Since my son isn’t here yet, I’m enjoying the process of preparing for his birth as a mom. These first couple of months I’ve been on the journey of strengthening my own foundation to be able to give the best beginning to my child. I feel so fortunate to have some wonderful friends who also double as super moms; the support and encouragement they extend means a lot. It’s a whole new experience for us to bond over,” shares Patti.
Patti sought advice from her mommy friends on preparing for the arrival of their baby boy. Here are the top five tips she takes to heart:
- Sleep as much as you can now. I think they’re referring to breastfeeding when they say this. Apparently, it’s “normal” to be up every two hours in the first few weeks.
- No mom has it all figured out. It’s comforting to know that all of us may not be going through the exact same thing, but, more or less, it’s somehow quite similar.
- Our children choose us before they’re born. I love this concept, a spiritual belief almost, of the unique connection between mother and child.
- Be open to all birth plans. There’s no Plan B when it comes to delivery.
- Enjoy the journey. This is all a process and it’s important to stay present and mindful at each stage.