By Jane Kingsu-Cheng
These days, seeing kids glued to the tiny screens of their (or their mom’s) mobile is not uncommon. That’s everyday scene is what gave Discover Kids Digital president and general manager Jay Trinidad to start the app. “There was a moment when I saw the parent handed the mobile phone to a child, and then I noticed that all of the seats around me were full of children with mobile phones,” he shares.
Here are some features of that app that we found interesting:
- There are large buttons, which makes it easy for any child (ages four to seven) to navigate.
- There is a dedicated character carousel. Research shows that kids primarily search for content by the characters that they love.
- There are a lot of interactive content. “So in every show of WildKratts, they find a new animal with a new environment. Here you can play a game, which allows you to explore the different environments. Your kid can click on the game,” Trinidad says. “The game is 100 percent safe, they are learning how to explore and interact with new animals. In this case, we are teaching them about monkeys, and how to explore and learn about them, what they eat.”
- They have a show called Guess What They’re Making and How Do They Do It? It’s dedicated to answering the many questions kids have.
- You can access the parent-only portion, and you can see all the things that are available to make sure that content is safe for your child. So you can see the downloaded pieces of content, and you can also choose the language. You can switch it to different children. So if you have a daughter and a son, they’re going to see different types of content that’s catered to them. You can also make profiles for the children that you have.
- It can give you important insight into your child. It can report stuff like if your kid watched 20 dinosaur videos. That information can spark something experiences beyond the app: museum trips, dinosaur exhibits, etc.
- It wants to make the lives of parents easier. The most commonly used cases are in a restaurant, in a van or in an airplane. So offline mode is a highly requested feature for us.
These are just some of the features to expect in the app, and there’s local content. Scarlet Snow joins its roster of kids and was present at the event to show her first cute video, a slime-making activity. Other shows include My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Transformers Rescue Bots, Ben & Holly’s Little Kingdom, Insectibles, Oddbods, and Angry Birds Toons; with games like Wild Kratts: Monkey Mayhem, Nature Cat: Park Builder, and Peg + Cat:
Chicken Blast Off.
Discovery Kids has over a thousand activities to keep your children educationally preoccupied. Subscribers get unlimited access to the platform across multiple devices with just one account. The Discovery Kids app offers a free 30-day trial with a subscription rate of P129 per month after the trial period.