35 awards won by Filipino ‘mathlete’ students in South Africa competition
By Kristelle Bechayda
Another group of Filipino students gained recognition after bringing home 35 awards in a math competition recently held in South Africa.
Last August 1 to 7, the 2019 South Africa International Mathematics Competition (SAIMC) was held where the Philippine team, composed of 26 students from different schools, won the following awards: 1 gold, 5 silver, and 15 bronze medals; 5 merit awards in the individual competitions; and 2 first runners-up and 7 second runners-up trophies in the team and group contests.
With more than 500 participants from 28 countries and regions, it was indeed a tough competition. Filbert Ephraim Wu, 13, who is a student of Victory Christian International School, did his preparations by constantly reviewing contest papers from previous years.
“It was a bit challenging because solutions were not made available, so I had to be patient to resolve the problems myself. The weekly Saturday trainings provided by MTG further solidified my contest preparation,” Wu, who won gold medal in the individual contest, as well as first-runner up in the team contest and second runner-up in the group contest, told Manila Bulletin.
Here’s the complete list of the Philippine Team participants who won in the competition:
- Mohammad Nur Casib of My Precious Learning Center
- Neo Angelo Gatlabayan of British School Manila
- Adrian Guanson Soriaga of St. Jude Catholic School
- Luke Sebastian Sy of Grace Christian College
- Raphael Adrian Galang of Manila Science High School
- Cassidy Kyler Tan of Davao Christian High School
- Ervin Joshua Bautista of Southville International Schools and Colleges
- Tracy Lauren Lei of St. Jude Catholic School
- Miguel Cayetano of Tuguegarao West Elementary School
- Gadriel Symone Dalangin of Stonyhurst Southville International School-Malarayat
- Anika Gayle Tan of Zamboanga Chong Hua High School
- Patric Xamwell Legaspi of Vel Maris School
- Andrei Lenard Chan of Zamboanga Chong Hua High School
- Keean Nathaniel Tang of Uno High School
- Matthew Eugene Chua of British School Manila
- Lance Chrysler de Jesus of Caloocan National Science and Technology High School
- James Martin Young of Philippine Science High School-Western Visayas
- Enzo Rafael Chan of Bayanihan Institute
- Sean Matthew Tan of Jubilee Christian Academy
- Kristen Steffi Teh of Grace Christian College
- Muhammad-Farouk Tan II of Silangan Elementary School
- Casey Lauren Bernardo of St. Jude Catholic School
- Franze Micah Castañeda of St. Jude Catholic School
- Francis Rafael Flor of Silangan Elementary School
- Noel Stephen Dequito of Xavier School-Nuvali
Nazareth-Manzano of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), Pasig City Schools Division Superintendent Dr. Dominico Idanan, and MTG officers Dr. Simon Chua, Dr. Isidro Aguilar, Robert Degolacion, Minerva Bianca Avecilla, Joel Edward Cardinal, Aldwin Sahirul and Renard Eric Chua.
This year’s SAIMC was participated in by students from Australia, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Cyprus, Ghana, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iran, Kazakhstan, Macau, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, Philippines, Romania, South Africa, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Tunisia, United States, Uzbekistan, Vietnam and Zimbabwe.
A portion of this article appeared in Manila Bulletin